Monday, September 3, 2007

The Internet: A Way of LIfe

Out of the two readings, Sterne’s cultural analysis of the internet interested me the most. In so many words it seemed as if he were to say, the internet is taking over the world. Well, maybe not “taking over,” but he is right, it is everywhere. The internet is showing up on phones, iPods, television, you name it. I tried to determine if I thought this was a good thing or a bad thing and I came up with… both. As others have already stated, the internet can be used to find useful information and to learn, but at the same time, the internet can be destructive and used to find harmful information. I would disagree with Sterne and say that the internet has a major impact on societies and cultures as a whole. It should be studied separately; it’s different in that it is everywhere and continuously expanding everyday. I could write pages on how this has shaped culture, specifically in the United States, but I will end with saying, that the internet has not only shaped and influenced our culture, but it is a way of life.

No comments: