Monday, September 17, 2007

I very much enjoyed "Reality TV: The Work of Being Watched". I thought it brought up some very interesting points and explained quite well the significance of them. First off, I would have to agree that reality television has caused some major changes in television and what is being watched. I don't know whether the good aspects out weigh the bad, but at least it is something different. I will admit openly and freely that I do partake in certain so-called reality television, (only good shows of course)ha, ha. But to me, reality television really started way back in 1991. I believe that was the airing of the first season of "The Real World". Back in the good ol' days I was a major fan of this show. Today, is another story. But I would like to comment that those early seasons of "The Real World" were much more complex and diversified than they currently are today. It wasn't all drunken college rich kids getting it on with a different cast member each night. It may also just be that I was a lot more younger and naive than I am today, but I don't think so. While I do believe that reality television has seriously taken a turn for the worst the general idea of it is beneficial to society. The idea of celebrity in our country has become utterly ridiculous. These so-called celebrities, or hyper-rich, or superstars, etc. etc. should be called what they really represent to us: royalty. It is sickening that as a society full of people where most live at or below the poverty line we look up to all these arrogant, eccentric pricks. I admit that I am probably just as guilty as the next when it comes to obsessing over celebrity idols, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. That is one of the reasons I like reality television. It is kind of like a slap in the face to a certain portion of the thespian community. Now your neighbor next door could be the next big thing. And why shouldn't they be, I am sure they have hopes, aspirations, and dreams bigger than their two-bedroom apartments can hold. It gives us "little people" hope that maybe we do matter in the end. One other reason I feel that reality television has positive aspects is the connection we can achieve through it. The fact that we get to watch in on other people's feelings and ideas. These ideas and feelings may be quite different from our own, and they may help us to broaden our views of the different people we are surrounded by everyday.

No comments: