Sunday, September 23, 2007

Race

Lisa Nakamura's article dealing with the internet and race was rather interesting. I really felt like this article made a couple of points, and the first one is that the internet can erase race. Everyone is anonymous on the net, so no one knows really who you are. The other part I saw in this was the studies seemed very racially stereotypical. Hispanics and blacks are the lowest users of the internet, while whites are in the middle, and asian's are rather high up on the highest number of people who use it. Not saying stereotypes are true, but saying blacks and hispanics are poorer and perhaps couldn't afford internet fits with this, as does saying asians are smarter and much more technically savvy. Just an interesting observation. I must say though, on a personal level, I had a major disagreement with this article from the beginning. It said that people who don't watch tv are thought of as more respected, smarter, and understand mass media more then many others. Is this implying that i'm not intelligent because I like to watch a game of football, or an episode of the Simpsons or Family Guy? I don't think so.

No comments: