Monday, September 10, 2007

Cyber-crash

I am still trying to decide if I am a fan of Cyberpunk genre or not. I think it is most important to understand that in this type of genre, you will not find the everyday characters and settings. The Wikipedia definition of Cyberpunk described Snow Crash to a tee. From the plot to the characters to the setting, Stephenson has created a world that is not impossible to imagine, yet hard for me to picture. What I do like about this novel and this genre is the way it incorporates several different aspects together. After reading only a few chapters, Stephenson had covered politics, culture, religion and much more. I think there are many underlying meanings to what is real about topics he writes on, however it is not always easy to understand what they are. This “future world’ is almost easy to relate to, it is similar to the present. It’s interesting to me the different to try and figure out why Stephenson had chosen the settings for this certain time and place. A pizza delivery service… I thought this was very smart, I don’t know of anyone who has not ordered a pizza. I wouldn’t venture to say this is my favorite book so far, but I am curious to see where Stephenson will take us.

No comments: