Monday, September 17, 2007

I'll watch a reality show only if the contestants can use shotguns...

I will not bash reality TV as an innovative new television programming, but what I will bash is the fact that plotlines are becoming shaky indeed. I mean, come on. A reality show creating a political candidate for office (Andrejevic reference)? But this is something that should be of concern. With such plotlines, it could show that reality TV might be trying to influence a society in the wrong ways by undermining the very basics of society.

Harm is also a factor. The show Kid Nation is now coming under fire for the simple fact that it is kids put into the same sort of conflict situations as portrayed in Big Brother, which could be psychologically harmful in the long run.

We are not far from physical harm in reality TV. Simply put, has anyone ever seen the Schwarzenegger movie The Running Man? You can see my point.

No comments: