Monday, September 10, 2007

I used to be a deliverator

I only had a chance to read the first few pages of Snow Crash. From what I read, there was a definite prominence of the Cyberpunk genre. All of the aspects described in the wikipedia cyberpunk article were contained in those first few pages alone. At first, I thought the idea of a dominating pizza delivery corporation was a little far fetched. After I thought about it though, it actually is fitting. According to the wiki article, the genre often uses symbolism to portray modern socio-political issues. I think the whole pizza delivery concept represents the idea that people need and rely on others for resources and those resources are controlled by corporate America.
I didnt really get into much of the technological aspects of the book. However, what I did read about it also went along with the wiki article. A term that the article used was 'high-tech, low life' and that also fit in with the book.
Overall, I think that cyberpunk is a pretty neat concept. In general, it has the coolness of technology, often contains violence and also holds deeper symbolism that would only be uncovered by close readings.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I like the analogy of people depending on others to deliver supplies to live on. I think this is the most important part of the Cyberpunk genre, the symbolism.